Berkeley, Calif., – The California Hotel & Lodging Association announced its 2019 award-winners today during its Stars of the Industry celebration at the Claremont Club and Spa, a Fairmont Hotel. This annual event honors the lodging employees and properties that best embody the quality service standards of the industry.
Outstanding Lodging Employee of the Year:
- Jose Bautista - Portola Hotel & Spa
- Samuel Arevalo - Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa
- Johnny Munos - Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn
Outstanding Manager of the Year:
- Margo Della - Anaheim Marriott
- Tina Keramari - Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
Outstanding General Manager of the Year:
- Steven Ortmann - The Palm Garden Hotel
Stevan Porter Emerging Hospitality Leader of Year Award: This award honors an exemplary lodging employee under age 30 who has demonstrated superior professional dedication, leadership, and a fresh perspective to their job.
- Abigail Derohanian - InterContinental Mark Hopkins
- Zack Moghaddam - Balboa Bay Resort
WIL Connect Leader of the Year Award: This award is given to a female hospitality professional who serves as a leader and role model within the hotel community.
- Jacqueline Dacanay - Fairmont San Jose
- Yan Liu - Axiom Hotel
HD Supply Housekeeping Award: This award recognizes housekeepers/room attendants who show commitment to extraordinary guest service, exceptional cleanliness of guest rooms and public areas, and a true passion for the hospitality business.
- Eduardo Ruiz - Handlery Union Square Hotel
- Daniel De La Cruz - Ramada Santa Barbara
- Rosa Centeno - Alpine Inn & Suites
Peggy Mosley Industry Champion Award: This award is given to outstanding CHLA or CABBI members who have demonstrated professionalism in operating a member property and have taken a leadership role in our industry and in his or her community.
- John Spear - Hotel Drisco
Community Service Award: This award is given for programs that demonstrate the individual property’s responsiveness to the local community.
- Terranea Resort - Rancho Palos Verdes
Good Earthkeeping Award: This award recognizes lodging properties that have developed a culture toward integrating environmental management practices that improve everyday operations and the bottom line, while maintaining quality service and meeting guest expectations.
- Shore Hotel - Santa Monica
Guest Relations Award: This award is given for programs that develop a climate conducive to new or repeat business, create goodwill among guests or effectively solve guest complaints.
- Magic Castle Hotel - Los Angeles
“Congratulations to our 2019 Stars of the Industry award-winners,” said CHLA President & CEO Lynn Mohrfeld. “As nominees and award winners, your dedication to our industry has helped to shape it into one of the best industries in the country. We couldn’t be more proud.”