CHLA Celebrates 2021 Stars of the Industry Winners
Hospitality colleagues salute best of California’s staff and properties
SACRAMENTO, CA – (Nov. 18, 2021) – The California Hotel & Lodging Association and the state’s 6,000 hospitality providers today honored 16 individuals and properties who represent the best of California’s lodging industry during its annual Stars of the Industry awards.
“Throughout the trying times of the pandemic, these outstanding people persevered, exemplifying what California hospitality is all about,” said Lynn S. Mohrfeld, President and CEO of CHLA. “They went far beyond the extra mile to fulfill colleagues and guests needs and provide the positive experiences they expect from our hotels and motels.”
Many of outstanding lodging employees and properties were nominated by colleagues throughout California. Three finalists were selected for each category, and CHLA judges selected the winners based on outstanding and unusual service to the industry, service to their colleagues and guests, and service to the community.
This year’s winners represent California’s diverse range of individuals, properties and locations.
The winners were announced at an in-person ceremony, led by CHLA Chair Bijal Patel and Mr. Mohrfeld, at the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach. The 2021 Stars of the Industry winners are:
Outstanding Lodging Employee of the Year:
- Large Property: Salvador Sorro – InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco
- Medium Property: Gerardo Alvarez – The US Grant
- Small Property: Andrew Rutherford – Rest, A Boutique Hotel
Outstanding Manager of the Year:
- Large Property: David Stieve – Terranea Resort
- Medium Property: Carlos Iribe – Pacific Palms Resort
- Small Property: Adreanna Flores – Days Inn by Wyndham
Outstanding General Manager of the Year:
- Large Property: Misoon Kong – DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose
- Medium Property: Stefan Mühle – Argonaut Hotel
- Small Property: Franck Legrand – Cornell Hotel de France
Stevan Porter Emerging Hospitality Leader of Year Award: This award honors an exemplary lodging employee under 30 who has demonstrated superior professional dedication, leadership, and a fresh perspective to their job.
- Julie Poincenot – Fairmont San Francisco
WIL Connect Leader of the Year Award: This award is given to a female hospitality professional who serves as a leader and role model within the hotel community.
- Karina Chung – Rosewood Miramar Beach
HD Supply Housekeeping Award: This award recognizes housekeepers/room attendants who show commitment to extraordinary guest service, exceptional cleanliness of guest rooms and public areas, and a true passion for the hospitality business.
- Large Property: Christopher Bennett – The Meritage Resort and Spa, and Vista Collina Resort
- Medium/Small Property: Shirley Chen – Argonaut Hotel
Community Service Award: This award is given for programs that demonstrate the individual property’s responsiveness to the local community.
- 1070 Hospitality/Holiday Inn Express Ukiah
Good Earthkeeping Award: This award recognizes lodging properties that have developed a culture toward integrating environmental management practices that improve everyday operations and the bottom line, while maintaining quality service and exceeding guest expectations.
- Portola Hotel and Spa at Monterey Bay
Guest Relations Award: This award is given to hotels for programs that develop a climate conducive to new or repeat business, create goodwill among guests or effectively solve guest complaints.
- Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego-La Jolla